Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sparrow's Nest

This afternoon Logan found a little nest near the edge of our garden. It is such a sweet little thing, carefully woven from grasses and hidden under the tall weeds :-P (Which should have been pulled long ago, but this time it seems, even procrastination has it's rewards!)  Inside are 5 pretty pale blue eggs covered in brown spots. We came in and looked them up and are pretty sure it is the nest of either a Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) or a White Throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis) nest. Both birds nest on the ground and have similar nests and eggs. So we will be observing the nest from a distance trying to discover who it belongs to! Hopefully we'll be able to update soon.

Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young--a place near your altar, O LORD Almighty, my King and my God.
Psalm 84:3

2 comments:

  1. Oh is this not lovely, I love birds nests, we have a lot of trees around us, and my husband works in an orchard, cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we love them too! It is always such a treat to find them here. When we moved to this house there was nothing outside! The land had been a cow pasture before the house was built. Since we came we have been planting trees and bushes everywhere. Gradually the birds are showing up and starting to nest here.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and I read every comment you leave! It's such a great way to meet new people. Please feel free to leave me a comment so I know you were here! Even if you want to comment on an older post... go ahead! I will still see it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails